Pages

Tuesday 2 August 2011

How Do You Explain What M.E Feels Like?

Explaining M.E to the people in our lives can be difficult. Here are some quotes from sufferers who know exactly how it is!

      It's foggy and muddy in here

I have FM/CFS for 11 years.It feels like walking in mud,dragging a ball and chain in the fog.its so hard to work up to anything.It's hard to talk and exhausting to have to repeat anything.God how hard that is!Just let me sleep-night is the enemy.Nobody gets it.I look fine-why do i make everything seem so difficult??cause it is(for me).Just look at me and understand.Stop asking how i am.it doesnt change and it makes me feel as weak and embarrased to say i feel like crap yet again.Your worst day is my best day.don't you get it?AAAAHHHHH

Out With the Bathwater!

It first hit me in 1992 after a very stressful house relocation,and I thought it was just exhaustion.After a week,blood tests showed Epstein Barr and I had 3 months in bed sleeping most of the time.Family couldn't understand and my daughter,aged 21,thought I had somethig contagious,and wouldn't come into the room.Very hurtful! I felt like someone had pulled out the plug while I was standing in the bath and my energy had gone with it. I have had one major relapse,2002,after a flu,but when I feel cold sores developing,and generally feeling run down,I know to start taking a tonic high in Echinacea and vit C.That helps,but it usually means a few days in bed.Like others,I hesitate to pre-book outings as I have had to cancel so many times over the years. Be kind to yourselves,and laugh a lot,it helps.

How I feel about ME

When I smile I feel a hole, a heaviness inside, a place where I am empty, a feeling I cannot hide, I try to smother this sadness, with friendliness and smiles, I fill my heart with gladness, yet secretly all the while, you coil tightly around my heart, I feel your weighty chains, you try to tear me apart, but I will not play your game, so I carry on with smiles, and laughter too and hope, that one day you will loosen, and let me free to cope.

Every chore is like doing a marathon

I've had CFS/ME since 2003 and usually explain the symptoms to friends and family as a "never-ending flu". However, after doing stress exercise testing at the Pacific Fatigue Lab in Stockton California I have discovered a new way to explain it. The testing shows that Post-exertional malaise is so bad that the day after the maximum exercise test day #1 it looks like I had run a marathon, not exercised for 15 minutes. It shows that I don't even produce enough energy per day that is required (on average) to take a shower. That seems to be a good way for others to relate the CFS symptoms to their own lives.

Flu bug

At the beginning, the first couple of years was just like that, like having a really really bad flu, and just so weak, dizzy, achy, my brain hurt, eyes always wanted to shut. Now that just happens sometimes, although excitement over things that ask for energy are still low. 

Exactly or Ditto

Adrienne - It feels as if you have ESP and have read my thoughts. Everything you have said I have felt. Sometimes even the little things seem so hard to do. One problem I also have is that when I am feeling good (which isn't often enough) I over do things and then I feel like I have been run over by a steam roller. Sometimes it even seems hard to take a deep breath. I had Glandular Fever about 15 years ago and life hasn't been the same since. I would love to hear from anyone who has a similar story. I am so sick and tired of myself being sick and tired. I'm at my wit's end. If I was told I had a fatal disease and had only 6 months to live, it would be a blessing. Everyone take care, Mary-Anne

Like being under anesthesia

My life has not been the same for the last 12 years since I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue. I feel like someone has injected me with anesthesia and I am about to have surgery. You know when they say count from 10,9 8 etc.... and you feel like you are falling into a deep sleep. That is how I feel all of the time. What a horrible way to live. I hope and pray that someone finds help .

Explaining CFS

I am a veteran when it comes to having CFS acquiring this in 1984 at age 44. I am in the majority as Dr. Paul Cheney once explained to our support group. We get sick and then we keep acquiring all these wierd symptoms. To describe it would be to say it was like a combo of sleep deprivation, flu, hangover, and jetlag all rolled into one. Then, as we age (I am soon to be 70), we acquire new issues and its difficult to separate CFS from aging. To describe in more detail would take more space than what is allotted here.



No comments:

Post a Comment